This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 9:39 a.m. EDT on May 21.
NEW YORK ( Real Money) -- After traveling for most of last week, I wanted to address the two most important questions facing investors and traders:
- Why has the market plummeted?
- What is the market's outlook?
Why Did the Market Plummet?Europe: Above all, the eroding eurozone has taken a toll on the markets. With the benefit of hindsight, the surprising Greek election (several weeks ago) was the catalyst to the downturn. as fears of a Greek exit from the eurozone have intensified. Investors are now fearful that the debt contagion will spread across Europe. U.S.: The U.S. economy, though still apparently on track for a muddle-through trajectory of growth, continues to limp along. Several regional ISMs were disappointing (but really not that surprising). Payroll growth remains tepid. Moreover, an uncertain November political outcome, fears of more divisive and partisan leadership (leading to another debt debacle similar to August, 2011) and questions regarding follow-up policy decisions (in an attempt to reduce our burgeoning deficit) haunt investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV