3. Bond yields are relatively low. Fixed-income investing has always been about the chase for return, but never more so than what's been of late, since the great deleverage of 2008. Yield spreads aren't particularly narrow, but that's obviously because U.S. Treasury yields are so sparse and are likely to remain that way for years to come. So high-yield is still clearly high-risk, all while Treasuries at the short end of the curve are bounded by zero and don't legitimately have much more to give. The bottom line is that fixed income is hardly a free lunch -- and, while it's an important part of a diversification plan, it is not by any means a safe haven from the risks of stock markets.
All of this leads to the thought that at least some of your investing will have to be done nimbly -- that merely allocating resources and taking a nap for a year or more just won't work in the modern investing world. It is why you are a subscriber here at Real Money: You recognize that at least a portion of your investment dollar needs to be moved rather boldly around in order for you to stay ahead. That's where we try to help.
Using the tired old axioms of diversification and savings is no way to avoid risk in the modern markets. But knowing that will help you prepare for the decisions you need to make in order to keep your money safe and growing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV