NEW YORK (TheStreet) - The major U.S. stock indices all gained more than 1% Monday, rebounding from their worst weekly performance of 2012, as international leaders took steps to calm fears about the future of the euro.
Wall Street saw its best session since the beginning of May on a welcome dose of M&A activity with Eaton Corp. (ETN) agreeing to buy Cooper Industries (CBE) for $11.8 billion in cash and stock. Shares of Cooper Industries soared 25%.
News that the Chinese government plans to undertake measures to boost the world's second largest economy also helped market sentiment.
A glaring negative was the heavy selling pressure on Facebook (FB), which made a shaky public debut on Friday. Shares of the social networking giant dived on Monday though, breaking well below their offering price of $38 each and losing roughly 11% to close at $34.03..The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 135 points, 1.1%, to close on a high note at 12,504. The blue-chip index had lost ground in six straight sessions, and 12 of the past 13 trading days. The S&P 500 jumped 21 points, or 1.6%, to close at 1316, moving off a fourth-month low. The Nasdaq surged 68 points, or nearly 2.5%, to close at 2847. Apple (AAPL) surged nearly 6%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV