NEW YORK -- Yahoo! Inc. (YHOO) has reached a deal to sell up to half of its stake in Alibaba back to the Chinese e-commerce company for about $7.1 billion.
The two companies announced the deal late Sunday, although there had been earlier news reports saying the companies were close to an agreement.
If Alibaba purchases half of the stake for $7.1 billion, it will pay at least $6.3 billion in cash and up to $800 million worth of newly issued Alibaba preferred stock, the companies said.
The companies also said the deal sets up a framework for Yahoo! to eventually monetize all of its Alibaba stake.Under this framework, if Alibaba holds an initial public offering in the future, it will be required to either purchase one-quarter of Yahoo!'s current stake at the IPO price or allow Yahoo! to sell its stake in the IPO. Yahoo! would also have registration rights and marketing support from Alibaba to help it to sell its remaining shares following a customary lock-up period after the IPO. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Shares of Yahoo! closed Friday up 55 cents at $15.42.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV