Alere (ALR) pushed the Health Services industry higher today making it today's featured health services winner. The industry as a whole closed the day down 1.4%. By the end of trading, Alere rose 14 cents (0.8%) to $18.60 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 1.7 million shares of Alere exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 818,200 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $18.37-$18.72 after having opened the day at $18.53 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $18.46. Other companies within the Health Services industry that increased today were: Edap TMS (EDAP), up 5.9%, Graymark Healthcare (GRMH), up 5.1%, IVAX Diagnostics (IVD), up 5.1%, and Concord Medical Services Holdings (CCM), up 4.9%. Alere Inc. develops and manufactures patient diagnosis, monitoring, and health management products and services for cardiology, infectious diseases, toxicology, diabetes, oncology, and women's health in the United States and internationally. Alere has a market cap of $1.47 billion and is part of the health care sector. Shares are down 20.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are three analysts that rate Alere a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and five rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Alere as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and generally poor debt management.
- You can view the full Alere Ratings Report.
- Use our health services section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about ALR
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV