Forbes Earnings Preview: Hewlett-Packard
By Narrative Science
Analysts expect decreased profit for Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) when the company reports its second quarter results on Wednesday, May 23, 2012. Although Hewlett-Packard reported profit of $1.24 a year ago, the consensus estimate calls for earnings per share of 91 cents.
What to Expect:
The consensus estimate remains unchanged over the past month, but it has decreased from three months ago when it was 95 cents. Analysts are projecting earnings of $4.02 per share for the fiscal year.
Analysts look for revenue to decrease 5.4% year-over-year to $29.92 billion for the quarter, after being $31.63 billion a year ago. For the year, revenue is projected to come in at $122.44 billion.Trends to Watch For: The last two quarters have seen decreases in the company's net income. In the first quarter, net income fell 43.6% from the year earlier quarter, while the figure dropped 90.6% in the fourth quarter of the last fiscal year. The company has experienced dips in revenue in the last two quarters. In first quarter, revenue was $30.04 billion, 7% lower than the year-ago figure. In the quarter before that, revenue fell 3.5%. Analyst Ratings: Analysts have become more optimistic about the stock recently and the number of buy ratings has risen slightly over the past three months. Competitors: Hewlett-Packard is a provider of products, technologies, software, solutions and services to individual consumers, small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) and large enterprises, including customers in the government, health and education sectors. One of Hewlett-Packard's main competitors in the computers and peripherals industry is Apple (AAPL). Other competitors in the information technology sector include: Dell (DELL), Oracle (ORCL), and Microsoft (MSFT). Recent Price Movement: The stock price has fallen 24.5% to $22.06 from $29.20 since February 21, 2012. Earnings estimates provided by Zacks. Narrative Science, through its proprietary artificial intelligence platform, transforms data into stories and insights.
- Harold Hamm: The Billionaire Oilman Fueling America's Recovery
- How Wayfair Sells Nearly $1 Billion Worth Of Sofas, Patio Chairs And Cat Playgrounds
- Welcome To Cummins, U.S.A.
- How A Nobel Economist Ruined The Residency Matching System For Newly Minted M.D.'s
- The Lyrical Portfolios Of Hip-Hop's Wealthiest Artists
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV