Forbes Earnings Preview: Hormel Foods
By Narrative Science
Hormel Foods (HRL) reports its second quarter earnings on Wednesday, May 23, 2012.
What to Expect:
The consensus estimate is 42 cents per share, up 5% from a year ago when Hormel reported earnings of 40 cents per share.
Despite not changing over the past month, the consensus estimate is down from three months ago when it was 43 cents. Analysts are expecting earnings of $1.82 per share for the fiscal year.Revenue is projected to be 4.6% above the year-earlier total of $1.96 billion at $2.05 billion for the quarter. For the year, revenue is projected to roll in at $8.37 billion. Trends to Watch For: Profit has dropped year-over-year in each of the last two quarters. In the most recent quarter, profit dipped 13.7% year-over-year, and the figure dropped 3.2% in the fourth quarter of the last fiscal year. Analyst Ratings: The majority of analysts think investors should stand pat on Hormel, with eight of 11 analysts rating it hold. The average analyst rating of the stock has stayed unchanged from three months prior. Competitors: Hormel Foods is engaged in the production of a variety of meat and food products and the marketing of those products throughout the United States and internationally. One of Hormel's main competitors in the food products industry is General Mills (GIS). Other competitors in the consumer staples sector include: Smithfield Foods (SFD), Tyson Foods (TSN), and Zhongpin (HOGS). Recent Price Movement: Over the past quarter, the stock price has increased from $28.98 on February 21, 2012 to $29.44. Earnings estimates provided by Zacks. Narrative Science, through its proprietary artificial intelligence platform, transforms data into stories and insights.
- Why You Should Use A Masked Credit Card To Shop Online
- Ireland Heads Forbes' List Of The Best Countries For Business
- Republicans Should Be Falling Over Themselves To Thank President Obama
- Pro Drivers, Jay Leno Also Struggled With The Porsche That Killed Paul Walker
- Why Sean Parker Is Obsessed With His Spotify Playlist
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV