Forbes Earnings Preview: Hormel Foods
By Narrative Science
Hormel Foods (HRL) reports its second quarter earnings on Wednesday, May 23, 2012.
What to Expect:
The consensus estimate is 42 cents per share, up 5% from a year ago when Hormel reported earnings of 40 cents per share.
Despite not changing over the past month, the consensus estimate is down from three months ago when it was 43 cents. Analysts are expecting earnings of $1.82 per share for the fiscal year.Revenue is projected to be 4.6% above the year-earlier total of $1.96 billion at $2.05 billion for the quarter. For the year, revenue is projected to roll in at $8.37 billion. Trends to Watch For: Profit has dropped year-over-year in each of the last two quarters. In the most recent quarter, profit dipped 13.7% year-over-year, and the figure dropped 3.2% in the fourth quarter of the last fiscal year. Analyst Ratings: The majority of analysts think investors should stand pat on Hormel, with eight of 11 analysts rating it hold. The average analyst rating of the stock has stayed unchanged from three months prior. Competitors: Hormel Foods is engaged in the production of a variety of meat and food products and the marketing of those products throughout the United States and internationally. One of Hormel's main competitors in the food products industry is General Mills (GIS). Other competitors in the consumer staples sector include: Smithfield Foods (SFD), Tyson Foods (TSN), and Zhongpin (HOGS). Recent Price Movement: Over the past quarter, the stock price has increased from $28.98 on February 21, 2012 to $29.44. Earnings estimates provided by Zacks. Narrative Science, through its proprietary artificial intelligence platform, transforms data into stories and insights.
- Apple's China iPhone Coup Shows Angela Ahrendts Is Worth Every Penny
- Measles Is Spreading And Kids Are At Risk. Sue Parents Who Didn't Vaccinate? Absolutely.
- Your Smartphone Battery Sucks. This MIT Startup Could Change That
- Can Robo-Advisors Survive A Bear Market?
- RansomWeb: Crooks Start Encrypting Websites And Demanding Thousands Of Dollars From Businesses
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts