WINDERMERE, Fla. ( Stockpickr) -- The markets are prepared to close a harsh week on a high note, as traders look forward to the debut of the much-anticipated Facebook (FB) IPO. A positive showing for Facebook shares could spark a change in the recent downtrend in the U.S. equity markets.
The S&P 500 is on a five-day losing streak, having dropped 3.9% over that timeframe. That popular index is now trading near its lowest level since the middle of January. The Dow Jones Industrial Average is also trading near its late January lows, after this broad index has dropped close to 1,000 points during just the month of May. The tech-heavy Nasdaq is now trading near lows last seen in late January, after it has dropped over 200 points in May.
If the Facebook IPO is a success today, then we could see money start to flow back into the tech sector and other areas of the market. That could spark new breakouts among many stocks on Wall Street, and more important, it could reverse the current bearish trend. Of course, on the flipside, if the Facebook IPO has a bad showing, then the market could just continue on with its recent downtrend and head much lower.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV