After pricing its IPO at $38 a share late on Thursday, the social networker's stock opened at $42.05 at roughly 11:30 a.m. ET on Friday morning, 30 minutes after the scheduled time. Facebook shares briefly jumped to a high of $45 before running down toward its pricing level. Despite repeatedly touching $38 just before market close, the stock avoided negative territory, and closed at $38.23.
The biggest-ever tech IPO, however, caused the Nasdaq exchange to struggle with phenomenally heavy volume as more than 573 million Facebook shares changed hands. Nasdaq even resorted to manually delivering executions to brokerage houses.The IPO price of $38 a share gave Facebook a valuation of $104 billion, significantly above the market caps of tech heavyweights Dell (DELL) and HP (HPQ). At $38 a share, the offering has raised more than $16 billion for the Menlo Park, Calif.-based firm. Read TheStreet's Live Blog recap for more details of Facebook's historic IPO: --Written by James Rogers and Chris Ciaccia in New York. >To follow the writers on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers and http://twitter.com/Commodity_Bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV