The Mother's Day Index: Mom's Value Down This Year. So What's For Dinner?
Spouses often underestimate the value of those tasks, Feldman says. Or they assume someone else, such as in-laws, will step in to provide them if necessary, but that's not something one should count on.
"You must think about whether your spouse could afford to pay someone else to provide these services in your absence," Feldman says.
Mom's value dips below $60K
According to Insure.com's annual Mother's Day Index of common tasks, the 2013 market value of Mom is $59,862, down from $60,182 in 2012, and dropping from $61,436 in 2011. The Mother's Day Index is calculated from Bureau of Labor Statistics wage data for a pre-set list of household tasks. (See chart below.)
Mothers rank child care as their most time-consuming task, with 38 percent of women saying that's how they spend most of their time. Cooking (27 percent) and cleaning (12 percent) were also ranked among the most time-consuming tasks.Taking care of the kids ranked as a favorite duty, with 30 percent of moms saying it was the motherhood job they enjoy the most. Rounding out the top five favorite tasks:
- Cooking: 15 percent.
- Shopping for the family: 15 percent.
- Planning summer activities: 7 percent.
- Yard work: 6 percent.
- Cleaning up: 27 percent.
- Yard work: 19 percent.
- Family finances: 13 percent.
You'll be doing what?Insure.com's survey found a disconnect between what men and women think moms would do with extra time if someone else performed all their household tasks. Both men and women think moms would spend extra time with their families (40 percent of women and 28 percent of men).. But after that, men and women had widely different ideas. Men figured women would go shopping, read, go to school or spend time with friends (in that order).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV