The Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) closed down 156.0 points (-1.2%) at 12,442. During the day, 812 million shares of the 30 Dow components have changed hands vs. an average daily trading volume of 721.7 million. The NYSE advances/declines ratio closed at 420 issues advancing vs. 2,665 declining with 61 unchanged. The Dow component that led the way higher today was Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ), which sported a 49-cent gain (+1.2%) bringing the stock to $41.37. Volume for Verizon Communications ended the day at 15.5 million shares traded vs. an average daily trading volume of 14.5 million shares. Verizon Communications has a market cap of $116.62 billion and is part of the technology sector and telecommunications industry. Shares are up 2.3% year to date as of Wednesday's close. The stock's dividend yield sits at 4.9%. Verizon Communications Inc. provides communications, information, and entertainment products and services to consumers, businesses, and governmental agencies worldwide. It operates in two segments, Verizon Wireless and Wireline. The company has a P/E ratio of 44.1, above the average telecommunications industry P/E ratio of 43.7 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. TheStreet Ratings rates Verizon Communications as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in net income, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
- You can view the full Verizon Ratings Report.
- You can view the full Boeing Ratings Report.
Latest Headlines about ^DJI
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV