Spanish Banks Cut in Moody's Ratings Inquisition
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Spanish banks received their promised downgrade Thursday as Moody's Investors Services made good on its promised review of the suffering European financial sector.
Sixteen Spanish banks were downgraded Thursday, in addition to the U.K. subsidiary of giant Banco Santander (Spain) SA. Altogether, ratings declined by one grade for five banks, by two notches for three banks and by three notches for nine banks, Moody's said. In addition, ten banks remain on a "negative" outlook with the remainder "remain on review for further downgrade.
Ratings for Spanish banks reviewed by Moody's now range between A3 and Ba3. "This average is below most Western European banking systems, reflecting the severe impact of both the difficult domestic environment and the ongoing euro area debt crisis on Spanish banks," according to a Moody's statement.
The rating agency cited several factors for the downgrade, including the rapid decline in asset quality, the possible downgrade of Spanish sovereigns and the possibility of the banks being cut off from private market funding.The Spanish banks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV