He ended our discussion with a useful analogy: "The VIX tells us when large hedge funds are loading up on portfolio insurance. This is no different than the hurricane insurance market.
"Hurricane season in the Atlantic begins June 1 and ends Nov. 30. Insurance companies experience marked increases in demand for hurricane insurance in May as property managers and homeowner scramble for cover. The increased buying pressure drives up hurricane insurance premiums."
Disclosure :At the time of publication, Marc Courtenay did not hold any positions in the securities cited in this article.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV