If the SPX (S&P 500) did go down significantly, the value of those put premiums would rise proportionately. The faster this happened the higher the price rises.
So the "implied volatility" factor measures the demand for, and thus the increasing price of, the SPX puts.
In the past the VIX indices (yes, there is more than one) rise sharply and remain high during major market crashes, making this a potentially amazing tool to help with exit and entrance strategies.
It really boils down to doing one's best to emulate what the so-called "smart money" is preparing to do as far as protection against nasty market surprises.The VIX fluctuates between 11.30 and 37.22 around 95% of the time. In the past, the upside range has taken the VIX as high as 80, as the 5-year chart above demonstrates. The 2-year chart (above) may provide more relevant insight as to the ranges we might encounter in the present economic environment. Besides VXX, the S&P SPDR ETF (SPY) or the iShares S&P 500 Index ETF (IVV) may be a good way to invest in sync with the VIX. For those investors who may want to go short before an impending stock market drop you could consider the ProShares Short S&P 500 ETF (SH), or if you preferred to short the movement of the Dow Jones Industrials you could use the ProShares Short Dow 30 ETF (DOG). In my discussions with Brown, I asked him his take on the best way for an investor to spot a major market drop. His answer was twofold:
- 1. Watch for the S&P 500 to drop below the 200 trading day (12-month) moving average and...
- 1. See if the VIX rises above 37.22 and remains above 37.22 for at least 20 days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV