Last up on our list of tech sector sympathy trades is hard drive manufacturer Seagate Technology (STX). Shares of Seagate have been locked in a steep uptrend since all the way back in October. The critical component of that uptrend is the trend line support line -- it identifies the dynamic pocket of demand that's trailing shares as they climb higher.
Put simply, each of the last four times STX has tested support at the trendline, it's caught a bid and moved higher; with shares testing that level today, investors could have a low-risk opportunity to buy.
A second support level at the 50-day moving average makes the setup even stronger.Buying at support is low-risk because you know quickly whether you're right or wrong on the trade. After all, a breakdown below that trend line is an exit signal, so the closer you are to it, the smaller the capital at risk. There's one critical component to buying any stock at support: waiting for the bounce. Ultimately, trend lines break. By waiting for a bounce off of trend line support, you know that STX can still catch a bid at that level before putting your money on the line. Don't buy until that happens. Seagate is one of the top holdings at David Einhorn's Greenlight Capital as of the most recently reported period. To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV