Dollar Tree, Inc. (NASDAQ: DLTR), North America’s leading operator of discount variety stores selling everything for $1 or less, reported its results for the quarter ended April 28, 2012 (“first quarter”). Consolidated net sales for the first quarter were $1.72 billion, an 11.5% increase compared to $1.55 billion reported for the quarter ended April 30, 2011 (“first quarter 2011”). Comparable store sales increased 5.6%, on top of a 7.1% increase for the first quarter 2011.
Earnings per diluted share for the first quarter were $1.00, a 22.0% increase compared to earnings per diluted share of $0.82 reported for the quarter ended April 30, 2011.
"I am pleased with the first quarter results as both sales and earnings exceeded the high end of our guidance," said President and CEO Bob Sasser. "The top performing categories for the quarter included Home products; Food, snacks and beverage; Health care products; Party supplies; Household cleaning supplies; and Seasonal merchandise. Inventory turns increased in the first quarter and we entered the second quarter in stock and well prepared, with our shelves full of the right product for our customers.”
Operating margin for the quarter was 10.9%, a 40 basis point improvement from the 10.5% operating margin in the first quarter 2011.Cash and investments at quarter-end totaled $382.3 million, compared with $510.3 million at the end of the first quarter 2011. During the first quarter, the Company completed its $300 million Accelerated Share Repurchase program and repurchased an additional 49 thousand shares on the open market for $4.5 million, and ended the quarter with $1.2 billion remaining on its share repurchase authorization. The Company continues to grow. During the first quarter, Dollar Tree opened 110 stores, closed 10 stores, and expanded or relocated 44 stores. Retail selling square footage increased 7.1% compared to a year ago, to 38.6 million square feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV