The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ: BONT) today reported results for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 ended April 28, 2012.
First Quarter Highlights
- Comparable store sales decreased 1.3%.
- Gross margin rate was 34.3% of net sales compared with 35.5% in the first quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Operating loss totaled $18.5 million, compared with an operating loss of $2.5 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2011.
- EBITDA was $4.8 million, compared with $23.2 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2011. EBITDA is not a measure recognized under generally accepted accounting principles (see Note 1).
- Net loss totaled $40.8 million, or $2.23 per diluted share, compared with a net loss of $36.0 million, or $2.01 per diluted share, for the first quarter of fiscal 2011. The first quarter of fiscal 2012 includes a net gain of $1.9 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, related to the Company’s sale of certain Rochester, NY locations and subsequent prepayment penalty on the extinguishment of its related mortgage debt. The first quarter of fiscal 2012 also reflects a charge of $2.8 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, for severance costs related to targeted reductions to the Company’s cost structure. The first quarter of fiscal 2011 includes a charge of $9.5 million, or $0.53 per diluted share, associated with the voluntary prepayment of the Company’s second lien term loan and the refinancing of its revolving credit facility.
Brendan Hoffman, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “Sales from the shift of our Community Day event from February to the end of April exceeded the prior year, but we believe it had an overall negative impact on April sales leading up to the event. We responded quickly with aggressive markdowns, and liquidated a higher level of transitional and carry-over inventory, resulting in gross margin erosion. As we look ahead, we are identifying and implementing initiatives which we believe will lead to improved performance. These initiatives include continued evaluation of and adjustment to our merchandise assortment, reallocation of floor space to higher growth categories, greater focus on smaller markets, enhancements to our marketing programs, growth of profitable sales in eCommerce and changes to our operating structure.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV