Comments from Marketfish CEO Dave Scott have been added to this story.
From Mark Zuckerberg's Harvard dorm room to a potential market cap of $104 billion, Facebook has enjoyed a meteoric rise in the space of just eight years. Experts, however, warn that the Facebook CEO faces a massive challenge ensuring that this upward trajectory continues.
"While Facebook has done a fantastic job of gathering hundreds of millions of users together between its virtual covers, monetizing that huge crowd has been more of a challenge," noted Charles King, principal analyst at research firm Pund-IT. "There may simply be no easy way for Facebook to ensure long-term growth, especially at a level commensurate with what's likely to be its huge initial valuation.""In order for Facebook to be successful in the long-term, it must first find a revenue model that works," added Dave Scott, the CEO of analytics and reporting specialist Marketfish. "Facebook advertising, in its current form, doesn't work - let's face it, who wants to shop for a pair of pants while they are looking for the college roommate's baby pictures?" Scott believes that the real revenue opportunity for Facebook lies in big data. "With all of the information they collect on people, they can use it to offer new services of value that would not only be welcome but needed by its community," he explained. For the boy king Zuckerberg and his court, driving long-term revenue growth will be the biggest test of the post-IPO era. From mobile to developers and cultural challenges, analysts predict plenty for the Facebook CEO to tackle. What do you Facebook's long-term strategy should be? Why not tell us on TheStreet's Facebook IPO live blog, which starts at 8AM ET on Friday:
Read on for more detail on the challenges that Facebook faces as a public company:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV