Large-Cap Social Networking Plays
Some of the well-known large-cap social networking stocks could also catch a solid bid if the Facebook IPO goes gangbusters on its debut. Some names to consider are Yelp (YELP), which develops apps that connect people with local businesses.
Another is a name a mentioned earlier, LinkedIn (LNKD). LinkedIn operates an online professional network, and the company recently upgraded its mobile app to further entrench itself into social networking.
Zynga (ZNGA) is another potential Facebook sympathy play. This company makes social-networking games that are used with Facebook, including Farmville, Words With Friends, Zynga Poker, Scramble With Friends, Chess With Friends and Drop 7.What I love about all of these names heading into the Facebook IPO is that they are heavily shorted. The current short interest as a percentage of the float for LinkedIn is 11.2%, for Zynga it's huge at 51.9%, and for Yelp it's around 14%. These stocks could easily see some sizeable short-squeezes if Facebook soars on its opening day. Look to jump into these stocks and make some fast money if you see some pin action off the Facebook IPO. To see more Facebook IPO sympathy and derivative stock plays, including Vringo (VRNG), Groupon (GRPN) and Sky Mobi (MOBI) check out the Facebook IPO Sympathy & Derivative Stock Plays portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV