Suncor Energy (SU) pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today making it today's featured Basic Materials loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1.6%. By the end of trading, Suncor Energy fell 36 cents (-1.3%) to $27.13 on average volume. Throughout the day, 6.4 million shares of Suncor Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 5.2 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $27.03-$28.08 after having opened the day at $27.49 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $27.49. Other company's within the Basic Materials sector that declined today were: GeoMet (GMET), down 30%, Anooraq Resources Corporation (ANO), down 23.8%, Lizhan Environmental (LZEN), down 18.1%, and Cereplast (CERP), down 17.6%. Suncor Energy Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as an integrated energy company. Suncor Energy has a market cap of $43.54 billion and is part of the energy industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.2, below the average energy industry P/E ratio of 9.6 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 4.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are 11 analysts that rate Suncor Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Suncor Energy as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- You can view the full Suncor Energy Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about SU
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV