The S&P 500 lost 5.86 points, or 0.44%, to close at 1,324.80.
Shares of J.C. Penney fell 19.72% to $26.75. After Tuesday's closing bell, the department store retailer reported a first-quarter adjusted loss of $55 million, or 25 cents a share, which was wider than analysts anticipated.
J.C. Penney also said it's discontinuing its dividend and backed off of its previous GAAP earnings forecast for 2012.The stock currently trades at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 10.01X; the average for broad-line retailers is 17.68X. For comparison, Macy's (M) has a lower forward P/E of 9.72X. Eleven of the 19 analysts who cover J.C. Penney rate it at hold. Five analysts give the stock a buy rating and three rate it at sell. The stock has fallen nearly 24% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV