Cost Plus, Inc. (NASDAQ: CPWM) today announced financial results for its first quarter ended April 28, 2012 and provided its financial outlook for the second quarter and full year of fiscal 2012.
First Quarter Highlights
- Same store sales for the quarter increased 7.9% on top of a 5.5% increase for the quarter last year.
- Same store customer count for the quarter increased 2.7% and same store average ticket increased 5.0%.
- Sales for the quarter for the direct-to-consumer business were $7.3 million, a 36.9% increase, compared to $5.3 million for the quarter last year.
- Achieved net income from continuing operations for the first fiscal quarter, the first time since fiscal 2004. Net income from continuing operations was $129,000 compared to a net loss from continuing operations of $3.0 million for the first quarter of last year.
- Non-GAAP EBITDA from continuing operations for the quarter was $7.5 million compared to $5.0 million for the quarter last year.
First Quarter Results from Continuing Operations
Net sales for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 were $214.6 million, a 7.4% increase compared to $199.7 million for the first quarter of last year. Same store sales for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 increased 7.9% on top of a 5.5% increase for the first quarter of last year. The increase in same store sales for the first quarter was due to an increase in customer count of 2.7% and an increase in the average ticket per customer of 5.0%.Gross profit as a percentage of net sales for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 increased 30 basis points to 32.0% compared to 31.7% for the first quarter of last year. The improvement in gross profit for the quarter was primarily due to the leveraging of occupancy costs on higher sales, offset by a slightly lower merchandise margin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV