Cost Plus, Inc. Reports First Quarter Fiscal 2012 Results And Provides Outlook For The Second Quarter Fiscal 2012
Cost Plus, Inc. (NASDAQ: CPWM) today announced financial results for its first quarter ended April 28, 2012 and provided its financial outlook for the second quarter and full year of fiscal 2012.
First Quarter Highlights
- Same store sales for the quarter increased 7.9% on top of a 5.5% increase for the quarter last year.
- Same store customer count for the quarter increased 2.7% and same store average ticket increased 5.0%.
- Sales for the quarter for the direct-to-consumer business were $7.3 million, a 36.9% increase, compared to $5.3 million for the quarter last year.
- Achieved net income from continuing operations for the first fiscal quarter, the first time since fiscal 2004. Net income from continuing operations was $129,000 compared to a net loss from continuing operations of $3.0 million for the first quarter of last year.
- Non-GAAP EBITDA from continuing operations for the quarter was $7.5 million compared to $5.0 million for the quarter last year.
First Quarter Results from Continuing Operations
Net sales for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 were $214.6 million, a 7.4% increase compared to $199.7 million for the first quarter of last year. Same store sales for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 increased 7.9% on top of a 5.5% increase for the first quarter of last year. The increase in same store sales for the first quarter was due to an increase in customer count of 2.7% and an increase in the average ticket per customer of 5.0%.Gross profit as a percentage of net sales for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 increased 30 basis points to 32.0% compared to 31.7% for the first quarter of last year. The improvement in gross profit for the quarter was primarily due to the leveraging of occupancy costs on higher sales, offset by a slightly lower merchandise margin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV