Updated with additional information, analyst commentary.
But some argue that the answer lies not in tighter regulation, but in breaking up the big banks.
JPMorgan said two weeks ago that its chief investment office had racked up over $2 billion in losses since the end of the first quarter, weeks after CEO Jamie Dimon had dismissed reports about the division's market-disrupting trading activities as a "tempest in a teapot."Lawmakers have been demanding that the nation's biggest bank share more information about the nature of the trades that caused the massive loss. The Commodities Futures Trading Commission has opened up
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV