In addition, rates of major adverse cardiac events (MACE) between the two groups were similar at six months:
- MACE – IN.PACT Falcon DEB 10.0%, Taxus DES 16.3%
- death – IN.PACT Falcon DEB 1.1%, Taxus DES 1.1%
- myocardial infarction (MI) – IN.PACT Falcon DEB 1.1%, Taxus DES 5.5%
- target lesion revascularization (TLR) – IN.PACT Falcon DEB 4.4%, Taxus DES 7.7%
- target vessel revascularization (TVR) – IN.PACT Falcon DEB 7.8%, Taxus DES 11.0%
Importantly for assessing the results, nearly two-thirds (64.9%) of the vessels treated in the BELLO study with Medtronic’s IN.PACT Falcon DEB were smaller than 2.25 mm in diameter, for which no DES is currently available.
The PACIFIER (Paclitaxel-coated Balloons in Femoral Indication to Defeat Restenosis) study enrolled 91 patients across three hospitals in Germany. The one-year results demonstrated a statistically significant advantage in preventing the superficial femoral artery (SFA) from renarrowing when using the Medtronic IN.PACT Pacific ™ drug-eluting balloon versus conventional, uncoated balloons.On the primary endpoint results of LLL at six months, there was a statistically significant difference (p = 0.0014) and exceedingly low rate (-0.01mm) of LLL associated with the use of Medtronic’s IN.PACT Pacific drug-eluting balloon compared to patients treated with an uncoated balloon (0.65mm). PACIFIER also significantly favored the IN.PACT Pacific drug-eluting balloon on a composite of death, amputation, and the need for target lesion revascularization (TLR) at one year (7.1% versus 34.9%, p=0.002). “While preliminary drug-eluting balloon data from uncontrolled trials have been promising, the interventional community has eagerly awaited the results from a randomized trial to validate the clinical benefit of Medtronic’s IN.PACT drug-eluting balloons,” commented Michael Werk, M.D., assistant medical director for the Department of Radiology at the Martin Luther Hospital in Berlin and PI and presenter of the PACIFIER trial. “Earlier research has hypothesized that drug-eluting balloons can reduce late lumen loss, restenosis rates and the need for repeat target lesion revascularization, and now the one-year results of PACIFIER show, in a randomized forum, to what extent these results are possible.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV