NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- There's been a hint of IPO mania happening during the past year, and while it's nice to see new companies coming to the market, there have not been many names that have captured the interest of this value investor.
What has been interesting is the proliferation of companies coming to market that offer free services and generate revenue through advertising. These businesses often ask consumers to pay up for a premium version of their services. I use many of these services personally -- the free versions, that is. I won't pay up for bells and whistles.
It's a classic case of "use the products, but don't buy the stock." Some of these initial public offerings have come amid much fanfare, with the granddaddy of them all happening Friday, when Facebook (FB) begins trading. Let's first look at the stocks of other recent IPOs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV