Blue Nile needs to improve margins and not miss earnings expectations. Lower gold prices may help achieve investor objectives. Analysts are expecting 0.07 cents per share this quarter.
Zale (ZLC), through its subsidiaries, operates as a specialty retailer of fine jewelry. Zale is thinly traded with share volume averaging 242,000 per day, and the company has a market cap of $79 million. Zale is expected to report last fiscal quarter's results before the opening bell May 23.
On average, analysts expect a drop of 94 cents in earnings per share compared with last quarter's results of 78 cents. The reporting quarter's mean estimate is for a loss of 16 cents per share.
While losing money in the past three out of four quarters, the last quarter was profitable and Zale did manage to beat earnings by a penny.Short interest is much lower with Zale than Blue Nile at 11%, but such a large short interest is decidedly bearish, and the shorts clearly have made the right call up to now. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 6 Stocks to Play for Lower Gold Prices portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV