Blue Nile needs to improve margins and not miss earnings expectations. Lower gold prices may help achieve investor objectives. Analysts are expecting 0.07 cents per share this quarter.
Zale (ZLC), through its subsidiaries, operates as a specialty retailer of fine jewelry. Zale is thinly traded with share volume averaging 242,000 per day, and the company has a market cap of $79 million. Zale is expected to report last fiscal quarter's results before the opening bell May 23.
On average, analysts expect a drop of 94 cents in earnings per share compared with last quarter's results of 78 cents. The reporting quarter's mean estimate is for a loss of 16 cents per share.
While losing money in the past three out of four quarters, the last quarter was profitable and Zale did manage to beat earnings by a penny.Short interest is much lower with Zale than Blue Nile at 11%, but such a large short interest is decidedly bearish, and the shorts clearly have made the right call up to now. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 6 Stocks to Play for Lower Gold Prices portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV