Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX): Today's Featured Health Care Loser
Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX) pushed the Health Care sector lower today making it today's featured Health Care loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.9%. By the end of trading, Vertex Pharmaceuticals fell $1.32 (-2%) to $63.38 on average volume. Throughout the day, 3.9 million shares of Vertex Pharmaceuticals exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3.3 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $62.88-$66.10 after having opened the day at $64.37 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $64.70. Other company's within the Health Care sector that declined today were: Tianyin Pharmaceutical (TPI), down 32.2%, Rosetta Genomics (ROSG), down 22.9%, Lakeland Industries (LAKE), down 20.6%, and Dynatronics Corporation (DYNT), down 16%. Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated engages in discovering, developing, manufacturing, and commercializing small molecule drugs for the treatment of serious diseases worldwide. Vertex Pharmaceuticals has a market cap of $13.09 billion and is part of the drugs industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 42.8, below the average drugs industry P/E ratio of 45.3 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 86.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Vertex Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and five rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Vertex Pharmaceuticals as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, notable return on equity and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's net income has been quite unimpressive.
- You can view the full Vertex Ratings Report.
- Use our health care section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV