Avon, Chesapeake: S&P Laggards
The S&P 500 lost 7.69 points, or 0.57%, to close at 1,330.66, its weakest finish since early February.
Shares of Avon dropped nearly 10% to $18.71 after Coty withdrew its $10.7 billion bid to buy Avon late Monday.
Avon shares trade at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 15.51X; the average for personal product companies is 15.36X. For comparison, Colgate-Palmolive (CL) has a higher forward P/E of 17.05X.Twelve of the 16 analysts who cover Avon rate it at hold. Three analysts give the stock a buy rating and one rates it at sell. The stock has risen 7.1% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV