10 Disasters in Stadium Naming Rights
American Airlines Arena and American Airlines Center
Home of: The Miami Heat (NBA) and Dallas Mavericks (NBA), respectively
Cost of naming rights: More than $8 million a year combined
Spending nearly $9 million a year on arena naming rights alone is just fine when your company's name is on both buildings hosting the NBA Finals, as American's was in 2006 and last year.
When your name and logo is stamped all over those buildings just as your company is entering bankruptcy, cutting more than 10,000 jobs and restructuring pensions, it's somewhat less flattering. A year removed from an all-American final between the Heat and the Mavericks, American Airlines has entered bankruptcy, changed chief executives and is mulling a merger with US Airways (LCC).
The arena naming rights are secure for now, but if the Heat continue on to the NBA Finals this year, it may be the last time American Airlines gets them there.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV