10 Disasters in Stadium Naming Rights
Home of: The New England Patriots (NFL)
Cost of naming rights: $7.6 million a year
Never heard of CMGI Stadium, you say? No worries. Neither has anyone else.
The tech and venture capital company was set to paste its logo all over the Patriots' new home field for 15 years when it agreed to a $114 million naming rights deal in 2000. That agreement didn't even make it to the stadium's first kickoff. The tech bubble burst and CMGI was reduced to a penny stock before fading into obscurity as ModusLink Global Solutions (MLNK).
Gillette, meanwhile, picked up the tab and had great seats for the Patriots' perfect regular season in 2008, its five Super Bowl runs in the past 11 years and its three championships.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV