10 Disasters in Stadium Naming Rights
Chesapeake Energy Arena
Home of: The Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA)
Cost of naming rights: $3 million a year
Chesapeake (CPK) slapped its name on Oklahoma City's arena less than a year ago and is already getting buyer's remorse.
Just after the company bought the naming rights in June, its share price started sliding and has dropped about 50% in the past year. Dirt cheap natural gas hasn't helped the company's bottom line, but neither has CEO Aubrey McClendon's SEC investigation. It turns out shareholders like to be told when their chairman gets a stake in well drilling and uses it to take out more than $1 billion in loans.
McClendon's stint as company chairman ended before the Thunder's playoff run. If they beat the Lakers and advance, will Chesapeake's name still be on the building in the next round?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV