The TJX Companies, Inc. and Consolidated SubsidiariesNotes to Consolidated Condensed Statements
- On January 5, 2012, TJX announced that its Board of Directors approved a two-for-one stock split of the Company’s common stock in the form of a stock dividend, payable February 2, 2012 to shareholders of record at the close of business on January 17, 2012. The stock split resulted in the issuance of 373 million shares of common stock. All historical per share amounts and references to common stock activity, as well as basic and diluted share amounts, have been adjusted to reflect the two-for-one stock split.
- During the first quarter ended April 28, 2012, TJX repurchased 6.5 million shares of its common stock at a cost of $250 million with $225 million completing the $1 billion stock repurchase plan approved in February 2011 and $25 million being repurchased under the $2 billion stock repurchase program approved by the Board of Directors early in fiscal 2013. TJX records the repurchase of its stock on a cash basis, and the amounts reflected in the financial statements may vary from the above amounts due to the timing of settlement of repurchases.
- In the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011, TJX’s Board of Directors approved the consolidation of its A.J. Wright division whereby 90 A.J. Wright stores were converted into T.J. Maxx, Marshalls or HomeGoods stores and the remaining 72 stores, its two distribution centers and home office were closed. The majority of the costs to consolidate A.J. Wright were recognized in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 but due to the timing of the store closings the additional closing costs (primarily lease related obligations) and additional operating losses were reported as a $49 million A.J. Wright segment loss in the first quarter of fiscal 2012. In addition, the first quarter of fiscal 2012 included costs related to the conversion of the 90 A.J. Wright stores to other banners (primarily store payroll and occupancy costs during the approximate eight to twelve-week period in which the stores were closed) and costs related to grand opening events when the stores re-opened. These costs totaled $20 million, with $17 million reflected in the Marmaxx segment and $3 million in the HomeGoods segment for the three months ended April 30, 2011.
The TJX Companies, Inc.Reconciliation of GAAP and Non-GAAP measures
The Company reports its financial results in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the U.S. (GAAP). However, management believes that certain non-GAAP financial measures used in managing the business may provide users of this financial information additional meaningful comparisons between current results and results in prior operating periods and expectations for future periods. Management believes that these non-GAAP financial measures can provide additional meaningful reflection of underlying trends of the business because they provide a comparison of historical information that excludes certain items that impact overall comparability. Management also uses these non-GAAP financial measures in making financial, operating and planning decisions and in evaluating the Company's performance. The Tables below provide supplemental non-GAAP financial data and corresponding reconciliations to GAAP financial measures. Non-GAAP financial measures should be viewed in addition to, and not as an alternative for, the Company’s reported results prepared in accordance with GAAP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV