NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Warren Buffett once described derivatives as financial weapons of mass destruction. I have wondered over his disdain for these classes of "fiscal engineering." However, if arguably the world's greatest investor holds these complicated financial instruments in contempt, everyday common investors should be wary.
For most people, the term "financial engineering" means simply earning a check from a 40-hour week and investing part of it in successful stocks. But sometimes, through even basic investments, people become victims of fallout from these "weapons" indirectly, when they invest in companies exposed to high risk attributable to derivatives.
This announcement has forced investors to not only re-evaluate the state of our banking system, but from an investment perspective, it has also served to bring more scrutiny toward bank balance sheets in an effort to reassess risk and current valuations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV