Great Plains Energy Inc (GXP): Today's Featured Utilities Winner
Great Plains Energy (GXP) pushed the Utilities sector higher today making it today's featured utilities winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1%. By the end of trading, Great Plains Energy rose 13 cents (0.6%) to $20.36 on average volume. Throughout the day, 1.2 million shares of Great Plains Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of one million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $20.10-$20.43 after having opened the day at $20.14 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $20.23. Other companies within the Utilities sector that increased today were: American DG Energy (ADGE), up 7% and Ormat Technologies (ORA), up 3.2%. Great Plains Energy Incorporated, through its subsidiaries, engages in the generation, transmission, distribution, and sale of electricity in the United States. The company also provides steam services in the Missouri area. Great Plains Energy has a market cap of $2.74 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 17.2, below the average utilities industry P/E ratio of 17.3 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 7.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there is one analyst that rates Great Plains Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and seven rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Great Plains Energy as a buy. Among the primary strengths of the company is its generally strong cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
- You can view the full Great Plains Energy Ratings Report.
- Use our utilities section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV