Sales for the first six months of 2012 decreased 10% to $229.6 million from $253.9 million for the first six months of fiscal 2011. Sales of semiconductor photomasks were $175.9 million, or 77% of revenues for the first six months of 2012, and sales of FPD photomasks were $53.7 million, or 23% of revenues. GAAP net income attributable to Photronics, Inc. for the first six months of fiscal 2012 was $13.1 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, compared with net loss of $4.3 million, or $(0.08) per share in the first six months of the prior year. Non-GAAP net income attributable to Photronics, Inc. for the first six months of fiscal 2012, which excludes $1.2 million of restructuring charges and a $0.1 million gain relating to warrants, was $14.2 million, or $0.23 per diluted share. Non-GAAP net income attributable to Photronics, Inc. for the first six months of fiscal 2011, which excludes $30.5 million of debt extinguishment losses, was $27.0 million, or $0.44 per diluted share.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Non-GAAP net income (loss) attributable to Photronics, Inc. and non-GAAP earnings (loss) per share are "non-GAAP financial measures," as such term is defined by the Securities and Exchange Commission, and may differ from non-GAAP financial measures used by other companies. Photronics, Inc. believes that non-GAAP net income (loss) attributable to Photronics, Inc. and non-GAAP earnings (loss) per share that exclude certain non-cash or non-recurring income or expense items are useful for analysts and investors to evaluate Photronics, Inc.'s future on-going performance because they enable a more meaningful comparison of Photronics, Inc.'s projected earnings and performance with its historical results of prior periods. These non-GAAP metrics, in particular non-GAAP net income (loss) attributable to Photronics, Inc. and non-GAAP earnings (loss) per share are not intended to represent funds available for Photronics, Inc.'s discretionary use and are not intended to represent, or be used as a substitute for, operating income (loss), net income (loss) or cash flows from operations data as measured under GAAP. The items excluded from these non-GAAP metrics, but included in the calculation of their closest GAAP equivalent, are significant components of the consolidated statements of operations and must be considered in performing a comprehensive assessment of overall financial performance. Non-GAAP financial information is adjusted for the following items:
- Consolidation and restructuring charges in fiscal 2012 are excluded because they are not a part of ongoing operations.
- Impact of financing expenses related to warrants is excluded because it does not affect cash earnings.
- Loss on extinguishment of debt is excluded in fiscal 2011 because it is not a part of ongoing operations and was not anticipated when establishing forecast guidance for the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
The presentation of this financial information should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for the financial information prepared and presented in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States. The attached financial supplement reconciles non-GAAP financial information with Photronics, Inc.'s financial results under GAAP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV