Rating Change #8
Telefonica Brasil S.A. (VIV - Get Report) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's earnings per share has not been good.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- VIV's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 1.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 87.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income increased by 104.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $256.85 million to $525.46 million.
- After a year of stock price fluctuations, the net result is that VIV's price has not changed very much. Although its weak earnings growth may have played a role in this flat result, don't lose sight of the fact that the performance of the overall market, as measured by the S&P 500 Index, was essentially similar. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- TELEFONICA BRASIL SA's earnings per share declined by 6.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TELEFONICA BRASIL SA reported lower earnings of $3.74 versus $4.27 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 37.0% in earnings ($2.36 versus $3.74).
Telefonica Brasil, S.A. provides fixed-line telecommunications services to residential and commercial customers in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil. The company has a P/E ratio of 6.5, below the average telecommunications industry P/E ratio of 11.1 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Telefonica Brasil S.A has a market cap of $31.36 billion and is part of the technology sector and telecommunications industry. Shares are up 2.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.You can view the full Telefonica Brasil S.A Ratings Report or get investment ideas from our investment research center.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts