So here is what the forward-thinking investor may wish to consider. The antiausterity shift abroad all but assures greater monetary easing by the second half of 2012. The European Central Bank will have little choice but to "print money/expand its balance sheet/lend/bail out." And once it happens, the lower-deficit country ETFs should enjoy a dramatic pop.
I wouldn't invest in these today, but I am keeping them on my watch list. If the ECB acts (and it will), and if the markets then respond favorably with respective prices climbing above long-term trend lines (which they should), the gains in these funds could be superb.
Granted, a much larger theoretical question is: how long would the infusions satisfy market participants? That's not something that anyone is able to gauge.Therefore, in my targeted asset allocation approach, I prefer assets with wide spreads over comparable Treasury bonds. They include ETFs that represent dividend stocks, high-yield corporates, investment-grade corporates, intermediate munis, preferred shares and pipeline master limited partnerships. You can listen to the ETF Expert Radio Show "LIVE", via podcast or on your iPod. You can follow me on Twitter @ETFexpert.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV