NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- For reasons I can't quite comprehend Sirius XM (SIRI) investors continue with their misguided optimism over recent events with Liberty Media (LMCA). They seem to think Liberty's effort to take full control of Sirius is going to somehow manifest into a win-win situation where both Liberty and investors of Sirius walk away holding hands.
I can't help but think how this is an example of the perverse investor characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.
Sirius XM investors need to understand that Liberty Media is not working for their best interest, nor should they. Last week, Liberty said it had entered into a forward-purchase contract giving it the right to increase its stake in Sirius XM to 45.2%. The contract allows Liberty to purchase 302 million shares of Sirius XM at a forward price of $2.15 per share or $650 million.
Instead of looking at this news objectively, many were quick to apply lipstick to this disappointment by suggesting that Liberty had somehow established a floor for the stock at a price of $2.15.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV