The biggest concern expressed by the experts on Thursday's FDA panel was the risk that long-term use of lorcaserin could cause heart-valve damage, or valvulopathy. Arena presented data Thursday showing, mechanistically, lorcaserin doesn't hit receptors that cause heart valve problems; and FDA concurred.
Experts on the panel were less convinced, particularly since the clinical data collected to date on lorcaserin could not rule out an increased risk of valvulopathy. Importantly, none of the panel experts, including the cardiologists, demanded that Arena be required to rule out a lorcaserin-valvulopathy link prior to the drug being approved.
Dr. Bill Hiatt, a cardiologist from the University of Colorado School of Medicine, was notable during panel deliberations advocating strongly for the conduct of a post approval cardiovascular outcomes trial of lorcaserin. Hiatt's argument seemed to blunt a more cautious stance taken by Dr. Sanjay Kaul of Cedar-Sinai Heart Institute, who voted against lorcaserin although eventually conceding, too, that a post-approval heart safety study was appropriate.
Setting parameters for a lorcaserin post-approval safety study could be another item that delays the drug's approval.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV