SAN DIEGO ( TheStreet) -- Thoughts, questions and reflections on Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) following Thursday's FDA advisory panel, which voted 18-4 (with one abstention) to recommend the approval of lorcaserin for weight loss.
Congratulations, Arena. Well done. The company and its outside advisors did an excellent job presenting lorcaserin data to the panel. Not every argument the company made was necessarily persuasive, but it had data to back up its side. Most importantly, Arena was able to respond well to the questions and concerns raised by the experts on the panel about lorcaserin's safety -- rat tumors and cardiovascular risk, in particular.
Thinking back through the live blog of Thursday's panel, I can't recall any instance where Arena was dumbstruck or intimidated by the panelists' questions. Being well prepared is a big part of emerging from the FDA panel meat grinder with a positive outcome.
Which brings me to the acknowledgment that I was wrong about Arena. Going into Thursday, I was confident that the FDA panel would not recommend lorcaserin's approval mainly because the drug's efficacy is mediocre and the safety concerns insurmountable. That position was wrong, as both the FDA's internal review of lorcaserin posted last Tuesday and Thursday's 18-4 panel vote clearly demonstrated.Arena does have an approvable weight-loss drug in lorcaserin, but when? FDA final approval could come as early as June 27, the agency's official decision date. If FDA approves lorcaserin on that date, the drug will beat Vivus' (VVUS) Qnexa as the first new weight-loss drug to reach the market in a decade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV