NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks tumbled Monday as Greece's inability to break a political impasse fueled speculation the country may eventually have to leave the eurozone.
Worries about the stability of the single-currency bloc were also being aggravated by Spain's financial health, the outcome of local elections in Germany, and weak regional economic data.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 125 points, or 1%, to close at 12,695. The blue-chip index ranged from 12,661 to 12,819 during the session.
The S&P 500 gave back 15 points, or 1.1%, to finish at 1338, just 2 points above its session low. The Nasdaq suffered the biggest hit, surrendering 31 points, or 1.1%, to settle at 2902. The tech-heavy index's low for the day was 2899.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV