LAWRENCE, Mass., May 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- NxStage® Medical, Inc. (Nasdaq: NXTM), a leading manufacturer of innovative dialysis products, today announced that former NxStage® System One™ patient Nikolas Gieske of Mequon, Wisconsin, received a kidney transplant following four successful years of more frequent home hemodialysis with the System One.
The freedom to do his dialysis treatments on his own schedule enabled Nikolas to live more independently while pursuing his college degree at the Milwaukee School of Engineering , where he is currently enrolled in his junior year and studying software engineering. In September of 2011, Nikolas, who was on a transplant list, learned there was a "perfect-match" kidney available for him, and underwent the transplant procedure shortly after.
"I only wanted to pursue a kidney transplant if it was a perfect match for me because I already had a high quality of life as a System One patient," says Nikolas Gieske. "I believe my more frequent therapy schedule played a role in helping me to be healthy enough to receive my new kidney. The ability of the System One to take a complex medical treatment, and engineer it to be easy to use has inspired me to pursue a career in engineering. I hope to someday be able to design similar products to help people."In addition to his parents, Nikolas' brother, Mitchell, helped Nikolas receive treatments with the System One as one of his trained partners. Through his experience as a dialysis care partner, Mitchell was inspired to pursue a career in medicine, and was recently accepted on a full academic scholarship to the Milwaukee School of Engineering School of Nursing. Mitchell will join his brother as a student in Fall 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV