- Net sales increased by approximately 12% to $24.3 million, from $21.7 million in the first quarter of 2011, as a result of an increase in customer orders and a reduction of approximately 3% in the return rate.
- Gross profit margin decreased to 15.4%, from 37.8% in the first quarter of 2011 primarily as a result of a significant increase in promotional activity driven by an acceleration of our inventory turns for the purpose of using our capital more efficiently. As a result, gross margins may be lower than they have been historically, although it is not expected that our margins will be as low as they were during the first quarter of 2012.
- Total operating expenses increased by approximately 23% to $11.6 million, from $9.4 million in the first quarter of 2011. Included in total operating expenses is $1.3 million in separation costs of which $0.7 million was in non-cash stock-based compensation expense related to the departure of the Company’s previous CEO.
- Operating loss increased to $7.8 million, from $1.2 million in the first quarter of 2011.
- Net loss attributable to stockholders was $7.9 million, or $0.28 per share (based on 28.5 million weighted average shares outstanding), and included $1.3 million, or $0.05 per share, in CEO separation costs. This compares to a net loss attributable to stockholders of $1.3 million, or $0.05 per share (based on 24.6 million weighted average shares outstanding), in the first quarter of 2011.
- Adjusted negative EBITDA increased to $6.2 million, from an adjusted negative EBITDA of $0.3 million in the first quarter of 2011.
- Cash and cash equivalents decreased to $2.5 million at March 31, 2012, compared to $4.4 million at December 31, 2011.
- Inventory decreased to $27.5 million at March 31, 2012, compared to $32.1 million at December 31, 2011.
Bluefly Reports First Quarter 2012 Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.