- LAN reported net income of US$76.1 million for first quarter 2012, a decrease of 21.8% compared to the US$97.2 million reported in first quarter 2011. Results this quarter were impacted by a 14.7% increase in fuel prices and a more challenging environment in the cargo business, as well as by the ongoing development of LAN Colombia’s operations. In addition, first quarter 2012 results include a one-time cost of US$14.3 million related to the successful completion of the collective bargaining process with certain unions.
- For first quarter 2012, operating income reached US$111.2 million, a 27.4% decrease compared to the US$153.3 million in first quarter 2011. Operating margin reached 7.2%, a decrease of 4.0 points compared to 11.2% in 2011.
- Total revenues in first quarter 2012 reached US$1,536.7 million compared to US$1,364.9 million in first quarter 2011 due to a 16.4% increase in passenger revenues and a 6.2% increase in cargo revenues. Revenue increases continue to reflect healthy passenger operations, reaching a record high load factor of 82.9%, whereas the cargo business faced a more challenging demand and competitive environment. Passenger and cargo revenues accounted for 74.1% and 23.9% of total revenues, respectively, in first quarter 2012.
- LAN and TAM S.A. (“TAM”) have successfully obtained the required registrations and authorizations in Brazil and in the United States in order to commence and complete an offer to exchange TAM shares initially for Holdco II shares and ultimately for LAN shares, in the form of Brazilian Depositary Receipts (“BDRs”) in Brazil and American Depositary Receipts (“ADRs”) in the United States. On May 10, 2012, LAN and a newly formed entity, Holdco II, commenced the exchange offer for TAM shares simultaneously in Brazil and in the United States. The exchange offer is currently scheduled to remain open until 5:00 pm, New York time (6:00 pm, Sao Paulo time) on June 11, 2012 and the auction will be held on Bovespa at 9:00 am, New York time (10:00 am, Sao Paulo time) on June 12, 2012.
LAN Airlines Reports Net Income Of US$76.1 Million For First Quarter 2012
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts