Marchionne had started in the 1980s as an accountant and tax specialist who didn't enter the auto industry until the 2000s.
Romney suggested that the Big Three make investments for the future, and one of those investments was fuel-saving designs.
Rattner wrote that the White House negotiated fuel-efficiency standards directly with the auto makers, but Romney simply wanted the federal government to invest in basic research on new energy sources and fuel-economy technology -- not to dictate the terms of fuel-efficiency. (This is a side-product argument from the two sides about how much control the Obama administration had during the restructurings.)
Finally, Romney said "don't fire the best dealers," which Rattner and the Obama administration found to be a difficult task. But ultimately, the government let GM and Chrysler choose which dealers to shutter -- a choice Romney likely had in mind."Every congressional district had dealers, many of whom were leading figures in their communities. We were inundated with an avalanche of calls, letters, and demands," Rattner wrote. "We patiently worked through each grievance and explained hundreds of times that the companies -- not the government -- made the decisions about which dealers to close."
Did Obama Make a Good Investment, Or Select the Only Option?General Motors
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV