Romney's suggestion was for the government to provide guarantees to any lender that chose to provide debtor-in-possession financing to the automotive giants.
Why the guarantee?
It was November 2008, the stock market had crashed after Lehman Brothers' collapse and the country was losing heaps of jobs per month. Credit had dried up, and banks were in survival mode.
"Romney argued for private equity only, but in the depth of the recession in 2009 there wasn't any - a fact Mitt Romney knew well," the Obama campaign official said.True, Romney must have understood this, but this is likely why he argued for private lenders backed with a federal guarantee. The government can guarantee loans, but the problem is that if a bank doesn't have the money to lend from the start, then there's nothing to guarantee. Appointed "car czar" Steven Rattner, who the administration tapped to lead the team that eventually devised the bailout plan for the American automotive giants, wrote in an op-ed that there wasn't any liquidity. "I know this because the administration's auto task force, for which I was the lead adviser, spoke diligently to all conceivable providers of funds, and not one had the slightest interest in financing those companies on any terms,"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV