Shire PLC (SHPGY): Today's Featured Health Care Winner
Shire (SHPGY) pushed the Health Care sector higher today making it today's featured health care winner. The sector as a whole closed the day up 0.2%. By the end of trading, Shire rose $2.13 (2.2%) to $98.32 on light volume. Throughout the day, 384,518 shares of Shire exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 570,000 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $97.36-$99.02 after having opened the day at $97.52 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $96.19. Other companies within the Health Care sector that increased today were: Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA), up 72.7%, Advocat (AVCA), up 57.1%, ProPhase Labs (PRPH), up 53.4%, and Repros Therapeutics (RPRX), up 41.8%. Shire plc, a specialty biopharmaceutical company, engages in the research and development, manufacture, sale, and distribution of pharmaceutical products. It operates in three segments: Specialty Pharmaceuticals, Human Genetic Therapies, and Regenerative Medicine. Shire has a market cap of $18.04 billion and is part of the drugs industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 20.6, below the average drugs industry P/E ratio of 21.3 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 7.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are nine analysts that rate Shire a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and seven rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Shire as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, growth in earnings per share and good cash flow from operations. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
- You can view the full Shire Ratings Report.
- Use our health care section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV