Seadrill Ltd (SDRL): Today's Featured Basic Materials Winner
Seadrill (SDRL) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1.1%. By the end of trading, Seadrill rose 52 cents (1.4%) to $36.62 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 3.8 million shares of Seadrill exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 2.5 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $35.46-$36.87 after having opened the day at $35.48 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $36.10. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: Synalloy Corporation (SYNL), up 11.6%, GeoPetro Resources Company (GPR), up 7.9%, Sanchez Energy (SN), up 7.8%, and Midstates Petroleum (MPO), up 7.6%. Seadrill Limited, an offshore drilling contractor, provides offshore drilling services to the oil and gas industry worldwide. It also offers platform drilling, well intervention, and engineering services. Seadrill has a market cap of $16.81 billion and is part of the energy industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.1, equal to the average energy industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 8.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are two analysts that rate Seadrill a buy, one analyst rates it a sell, and eight rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Seadrill as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and generally poor debt management.
- You can view the full Seadrill Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV