At the same time, our efforts continue unabated to force a handful of mortgage originators to honor their contractual obligations to repurchase ineligible loans from insurance securitizations. Given the magnitude of losses MBIA has sustained as a result of their fraud, collecting these recoverables is among our highest priorities.
On this front, we are pleased that our litigation against Bank of America continues to progress positively. In addition to the January loss causation ruling that was discussed in our last call, in February, we submitted our expert reports, which support in great detail the validity of our claims. And in April, the Appellate Division denied Bank of America's motion to again delay our successor liability claims, while the Supreme Court cleared the way for the discovery process to be completed. If the matter is not settled in the interim, we expect it will come to trial in early 2013.
Our putback claims against Bank of America are by far the most significant work for MBIA, with the next largest claims against Ally Financial's subsidiaries, RFC and GMAC Mortgage. Those cases are proceeding also through the discovery process and expert reports were filed in the RFC case last month.
We are well aware of the increasing likelihood that ResCap, which is owned by taxpayer-owned Ally Bank and which is the parent of RFC and GMAC, could file a bankruptcy petition. And we also know that ResCap did not make a debt service payment a few weeks ago. While this is not a good turn of events, we don't consider this to be new news.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV