LAWRENCE, Mass., May 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- NxStage® Medical, Inc. (Nasdaq:NXTM), a leading manufacturer of innovative dialysis products, today commented on findings of the Chronic Disease Research Group (CDRG) study showing that patients receiving daily, or more frequent, home hemodialysis with the NxStage System One™ are more likely to receive a kidney transplant when compared with conventional thrice-weekly dialysis, particularly in patients not on the transplant waitlist at initiation of daily home hemodialysis. The study, "Transplant Rates in Frequent Hemodialysis and Matched Thrice-Weekly Hemodialysis Patients," was presented on Thursday, May 10th at the National Kidney Foundation Spring Clinical Meeting in Washington, D.C.
The CDRG retrospective cohort study compared cumulative incidence of transplant in 1,873 daily home hemodialysis patients using the NxStage System One from 2005 to 2007 and a matched cohort of 9,365 thrice-weekly, in-center hemodialysis patients from the United States Renal Data System (USRDS) database. The study was designed using a unique, rigorous matching process with 17 covariates that could impact transplantation incidence, including demographics, comorbidity and socioeconomic status. Specifically, findings showed:
- Relative transplant incidence with daily home hemodialysis was 1.14 (P = 0.03) as compared with thrice-weekly in-center hemodialysis, but relative incidence varied by waitlist status at the start of follow-up; and
- In patients on the transplant waitlist at the start of follow-up, relative transplant incidence was 0.93 (P = 0.27) as compared with thrice-weekly in-center hemodialysis; in patients not listed, relative incidence was 1.91 (P < 0.01);
"Kidney transplantation is widely regarded as the 'gold standard' treatment for End Stage Renal Disease and is associated with the highest quality of life and survival outcomes for patients," said Dr. Allan Collins, professor of medicine, University of Minnesota, and Director, Chronic Disease Research Group. "Daily home hemodialysis patients may be better prepared for a transplant based on earlier studies of frequent dialysis showing less hypertension, better phosphorus control, and reduced left ventricular hypertrophy.""The CDRG study adds new and important findings to the large body of clinical data showing the significant benefits of more frequent home hemodialysis," said Jeffrey H. Burbank, Chief Executive Officer of NxStage. "This provides additional testament to the value our technology and therapy delivers to patients and the health care system. Not only are transplants wonderful from an outcomes perspective, but also, they are the lowest long term cost of care option for Medicare." CDRG is a nonprofit division of the Minneapolis Medical Research Foundation committed to investigating chronic illness to improve public health, including leveraging USRDS data to conduct studies. This study was funded by NxStage Medical.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV